Why Attend Marriage Counseling?
When two people join together as part of a marriage or life partnership, various issues and struggles may arise as they strive to attain and maintain satisfaction. Equilibria’s marriage counselors help clients negotiate the obstacles of relationships.
Who Should Attend Marital Counseling?
There are many reasons why a couple would seek a marriage counselor’s expertise. Sometimes couples seek counseling simply to keep the lines of communication open and other times there has been a significant change in the relationship needing addressed.
REASONS TO ATTEND MARITAL COUNSELING
- Our communication has really declined or has become negative
- It feels like we are just occupying the same space
- It feels like we are just going through the motions
- An affair has happened or has been considered
- We don’t seem to have a sex life anymore (or our sex life has changed)
- We don’t know how to resolve our differences anymore
- Resentment is building up and one or both of us can’t move passed it
- Separating seems like the only way at this point
- We just don’t see eye to eye (on one or many issues like finances, social engagements, work, raising children, etc)
- We’re just staying together for the children
- We just want to strengthen our relationship
- Something has happened that we need to work through
- I just don’t feel like I know this person anymore
- Everything my spouse does just seems to annoy me
The Marital Counseling Process
For the first several sessions of marriage counseling, the mariage counselor will assess your relationship by trying to understand existing patterns.
The marital patterns being observed are:
- What is the glue holding your marriage together
- Your marital stresses and conflicts
- The communication patterns in your marriage
- The expectations of each person for the marriage and their individual lives
- The history of your relationship and marriage
- The strengths and weaknesses of the relationship and marriage
In addition to observing marital and relationship patterns, the therapist will individually assess each of you to understand the history and expectations each person brings into the marriage.
The couple and the marriage counselor will then set realistic goals for the course of marital counseling that will be revisited frequently over time. On occasion, one partner chooses not to continue with marriage counseling.
A partner quitting marriage counseling does not mean the counseling has to end. Many times just one partner seeking counseling can experience significant changes that influence the course of the relationship. However, having both partners committed to working on the issues together works best for marital counseling.
Why Marriage Counseling Works?
Marriage counseling is aimed at increasing empathetic understanding, improving effective communication, and providing an opportunity for mutual growth. This type of growth can be incredibly impactful for the couple as a whole and for each partner individually.
Schedule an Appointment With A Marriage Counselor
At Equilibria, our Philadelphia marriage counselors utilize an integrative, strength based treatment model to address each person’s set of unique issues. We pull from cognitive-behavioral, interpersonal, systems-focused, and insight oriented approaches to design effective assessment, consultation and treatment strategies. It is our firm belief that treatment must be flexible and tailored in order to achieve symptom relief and increased self and couple understanding.
To schedule an appointment, please call 267-861-3685, Option 1