Kristy A. Brumfield, Ph.D., LPC
I am a licensed professional counselor, registered play therapist, clinical supervisor, and a nationally certified counselor. I am excited about joining the Equilibria team in serving the Philadelphia area. I earned a Master of Health Sciences degree in Rehabilitation Counseling from Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in 2002. I also earned a PhD in Counselor Education from the University of New Orleans in 2006. I relocated to Philadelphia from New Orleans where I spent more than ten years working with children, adolescents, and families providing counseling from a client-centered, strength-based perspective. I am currently an Associate Professor at Immaculata University where I teach counseling and play therapy to Clinical Mental Health Counseling and doctoral psychology students.
I see counseling as a process in which you and I work as a team to explore and define present problem situations, develop future goals for an improved life and work in a systematic fashion toward realizing those goals. In my work with children, I utilize a child-centered play therapy approach. With adolescents, families, couples and adults I approach counseling from a client-centered perspective utilizing creative counseling techniques. I also conduct parent trainings and group therapy.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Licensed Professional Counselor (Pennsylvania, #PC008163)
- Licensed Professional Counselor – Supervisor (Louisiana, #S3819)
- Nationally Certified Counselor (#216122)
- Registered Play Therapist – Supervisor (#S-1170)
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Child and Adolescent Counseling
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
- Association for Play Therapy
- Louisiana Association for Play Therapy (Board Member, 2008 – 2015)
- Pennsylvania Association for Play Therapy
- Black Doctoral Network
- Chi Sigma Iota (Counseling Academic and Professional Honor Society) (Faculty Advisor, 2008 – present)