Karen Taratuski, PSY.D.
I’m Karen Taratuski and I have worked in the mental health field for the past 25 years. Following my undergraduate work, I began my career as a Music Therapist. My experiences working with individuals who had disabilities led me to more intensive study in psychology, eventually becoming a School Psychologist and earning a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. Children, adolescents and families have been the primary focus of my work and I have spent many years working in public schools in such roles as a Behavior Specialist, School Psychologist and Special Services Administrator. I have also had experience providing treatment for individuals of all ages in outpatient, inpatient, residential, and behavioral health settings.
I am a very practical person and I also approach therapy in this way. I recognize that the clients bring their own view on the problem they are experiencing, and I take into account aspects of their lives that have shaped their perspective. Cognitive-behavioral training provides the foundation for my work and I truly believe that our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are interconnected. When we are able to view the problem clearly and make an adjustment in one of these areas the others follow. Eventually, we are likely to see positive changes in our situation and our life.
I am currently a Licensed Psychologist in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as well as a Certified School Psychologist in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. While I maintain a general practice, my specialties include working with children and adolescents. I have a personal and professional interest in working with families around parenting and adoption issues, as well as with the LGBT community.
- social issues
- adoption issues
- LGBT issues
- adjustment issues
- coping with chronic illness or other health issues.
- Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.) – Immaculata University, 1984
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) – Temple University, 1991
- Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) – Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2010
- Licensed Psychologist, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- School Psychologist Certification, Pennsylvania Department of Education and New Jersey Department of Education
- Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction, New Jersey Department of Education